September 8, 2008

To Cook Or Not to Cook: That is the Question

There came a time when I was asked to edit one of my sister's school paper. As I began running through her piece, I found the content satisfactory. Thoughts were laid in conjunction although the manner of writing I criticized as one fitting the general audience. For that reason, it would be a rarity that my other siblings would approach to have their works reviewed. They have labeled me a tiger - one who would wait for victims whom I can deliberately attack with so much criticism when they would jot weak inks.

A few years after, we were caught again in the same scenario. And the critic that I am, told her that she has written something fit for laymen. She defended her manner of writing as correct - that when one writes, the writer must have the greater audience in mind. And that his/her writing should be within grasp of the said audience. I objected.

To prove my point, I led her to perceive herself as a cook. As such, considering doing some cooking chore, I asked her who would be the first to taste the food she prepared. She replied, "Of course I will be the one to do the tasting first before it gets served." Persistent with my arrogance I supplied another question as to why should she taste the food first. And she reasoned out that by tasting the food, she makes sure that it tastes well - as such should the taste lack a few salt, spice or any other ingredient , necessary adjustments could be made before it gets to the table for consumption.

Similarly, I told her, when you write, attempt not to please others first but yourself. If one is not  pleased, most likely others will feel the same although a few may not. But on extreme pessimism that no one would find your food pleasing despite the approval of your taste buds, the greatest honor there is, is that you have served yourself well. Should they desire not to eat, be joyful for you have so much food for yourself.

Some people know how to cook. Some do not. To eat is a natural thing. To be able to cook, one must learn which ingredients compliment for combination, otherwise ruin the cooking. One must know precisely the temperature, the time, the processes and other related factors involved in order to cook well.

Same thing with writing. It's either you could or you could not. Any person capable of writing well, for sure, is seasoned to do the scribbling task. By seasoning, it means that:

  1. the writer seriously takes the things he learned from books, teachers and other learning sources;
  2. the writer practices what he learned;
  3. the writer has been criticized and/or lauded by the readers; and,
  4. the writer continuously writes to please himself/herself first.

Overall, food is a universal experience. Equate that with reading. As with cooking, a man must earn his kitchen rights. When it comes to writing, not all men deserve a papyrus to write on. More so, if the writer has failed to undergo the seasoning stages aforementioned, the sole paper fitting for his scribbles would be nothing more than a tissue paper.

1 comment: